NEW MILFORD -- Police on Thursday charged a 21-year-old New Milford man with first-degree robbery, a day after officials said he robbed a town Subway sandwich shop at knifepoint.

A police spokesman said Maxwell Gilliland, of Old Stagecoach Road, is also a suspect in the armed robbery of a Subway in Bethel on Thursday, though he has not yet been charged for that crime.

New Milford police Lt. Larry Ash said Friday that Gilliland entered the Subway on Danbury Road in New Milford about 4 p.m. Wednesday and flashed a knife at the employees and customers. Moments later, Gilliland fled the scene with "a significant amount of cash," Ash said.

The following day, witnesses told police that Gilliland walked into the Subway at 75 Stony Hill Road Thursday morning, about 9:30 a.m., brandishing a three-inch knife, officials said.

The store's manager, who declined to be named, said Thursday that she was working the counter when the suspect reached over and grabbed "over $200."

"After the customer left, I was sitting here," she said. "He came back in and he came up to the counter to buy cookies and when we were ringing him up, once the drawer opened, he just leaned over the counter and started grabbing all of the money out."

She said that Gilliland was wearing a green hooded sweatshirt at the time of the robbery.

The owner of a neighboring business saw the suspect jump into a car with two other people inside and speed off down Stony Hill Road, the manager said. Police confirmed Friday that the two people were present at both robberies, but would not disclose their names or the extent of their involvements in the heists.

"Our investigation is continuing to determine what their role in this cases were," he said.

He was taken into custody Thursday afternoon after an officer pulled him over while driving the alleged getaway car, a gray Volkswagen Jetta, near the intersection of Aspetuck Ridge Road and Sand Road in New Milford. None of the money was recovered, Ash said.

"We were able to identify him through witness accounts of what occurred," he said.

Gilliland was later charged with first-degree robbery, fifth-degree larceny and threatening.

His bond was set at $150,000. Gilliland is scheduled to be arraigned Friday in Bantam Superior Court.