New Milford man charged in Grove Street stabbing pleads not guilty
NEW MILFORD — The man arrested in a stabbing on Grove Street last month is expected back in court next week after pleading not guilty to the charges brought against him.
Dion Bernier Jr., 27, is charged with first-degree assault, as well as tampering with physical evidence, after police say he stabbed a 28-year-old man with a large folding knife on Aug. 1.
Police responded to a call around 8:40 a.m. about an altercation at Bernier’s Grove Street home and found a man who had been stabbed in the abdomen.
Other people were inside the home at the time, but Bernier and the victim were the only ones involved in the altercation, according to Lt. Earl Wheeler.
The victim was transported to Danbury Hospital with serious injuries and underwent abdominal surgery, police said.
Bernier was arraigned the next day and pleaded not guilty 11 days later.
He remains in custody on $250,000 bond and has a pre-trial hearing scheduled Sept. 20 at state Superior Court in Litchfield.
He is being represented by the Avon-based Law Office of Pat Brown, according to court records.
Last month’s stabbing wasn’t Bernier’s first run-in with the law. He was one of two men arrested in January 2014 following a strong-arm robbery at a Dunkin’ Donuts in Brookfield.
He pleaded guilty to third-degree robbery and third-degree conspiracy to commit robbery and was sentenced to five years imprisonment, suspended after seven months, with three years probation for each count.
New Milford police said the Aug. 1 incident is still under investigation and ask anyone with information to call 860-355-3133.