Family's recently purchased New Milford home damaged by smoke
NEW MILFORD -- A family who earlier this month moved into a house on Saxony Drive was displaced Friday after an electrical fire erupted in the basement, causing smoke damage throughout the ranch-style house.
Town records indicate William Strempski purchased the Northville-area home from Michael Gallo on Sept. 2.
Fire Marshal Karen Facey said the accidental fire was contained to the basement, but there was sufficient smoke and water damage that the Strempski family was forced to temporarily relocate.
No structural damage occurred, but the main floors will have to be cleaned of the smoke, she said.
The local Red Cross chapter was called in to assist the family.