The Grove Street/Route 67 intersection project in New Milford has made significant headway in recent weeks with the opening and paving of the newly realigned stretch of Route 67.

The state highway now passes in front of the Water Witch Hose Co. No. firehouse, as it did before the project began, crossing over a new bridge spanning Great Brook (Butter Brook).

The detour behind the firehouse used for several months was taken out of service June 24.

By mid-September, all roadwork on the Department of Transportation intersection realignment project is anticipated to be completed, according to DOT officials.

By late August, the newly aligned Grove Street connector should be in use and the existing Grove Street will be turned into a cul-de-sac at its intersection with Route 67.

"The overall completion date is still November," said Dean Cerasoli, transportation supervising engineer with the DOT. "If things go well, substantial completion could be in September or October."

Mr. Cerasoli said, even after traffic flow is in its final configuration, decorative landscaping and sidewalk work would continue.

The project had been discussed for decades and design work began in 1993.

The new design realigns Route 67 and relocates Grove Street to meet at a new signalized, four-way intersection with Route 67 and Route 202.

At the groundbreaking in April 2009, Gov. Jodi Rell said the project addresses a number of traffic and safety issues.

She then praised the teamwork that brought the project forward, noting "it demonstrates what we can really do when we work together for a common goal."

Mayor Pat Murphy was praised by the governor for her "dogged determination" to move the long stalled project forward.

"We're getting closer and closer to having a much safer intersection," Mayor Murphy said earlier this month. "It's really exciting to see it coming together. Much thanks goes to the cooperation of neighbors like Paul Hulton and the town's Public Works directors, originally Pat Hackett, and now Mike Zarba."

The mayor noted just 12 percent of the $28.7million cost is coming from town coffers.

The rest is paid for with state and federal funding.