Washington renters who were aged 65 or older by Dec. 31, 2009, or who are receiving Social Security disability, may be eligible for a state grant.

An applicant must have resided in the state for any one-year period prior to filing; have an income, including Social Security, that does not exceed $32,300 if single or $39,500 if married; and have 35 percent of the total of rent and utility payments exceed 5 percent of the annual income.

Information and application forms may be obtained at the assessor's office at town hall in Bryan Hall Plaza. Applications will be accepted through Sept. 15.

For more information, call 860-868-0398.