Police charged a 21-year-old New Milford man with first-degree robbery on May 12, a day after officials said he had robbed a Subway sandwich shop at knife point.

A police spokesman said Maxwell Gilliland of Old Stagecoach Road is also a suspect in the May 12 armed robbery of a Subway in Bethel, although he has not yet been charged for that crime.

New Milford police Lt. Larry Ash said May 13 that Mr. Gilliland entered the Subway on Danbury Road in New Milford about 4 p.m. on May 11 and flashed a knife at the employees and customers.

Moments later, Mr. Gilliland fled the scene with "a significant amount of cash," Lt. Ash said.

The following day, witnesses told police Mr. Gilliland walked into the Subway at 75 Stony Hill Road about 9:30 a.m., brandishing a three-inch knife, officials said.

The store's manager, who declined to be named, said May 12 she was working the counter when the suspect reached over and grabbed "over $200."

"After the customer left, I was sitting here," she said. "He came back in and he came up to the counter to buy cookies and when we were ringing him up, once the drawer opened, he just leaned over the counter and started grabbing all of the money out."

She said Mr. Gilliland was wearing a green, hooded sweatshirt at the time of the robbery.

The owner of a neighboring business saw the suspect jump into a car with two other people inside and speed off down Stony Hill Road (Route 6), the manager said.

Police confirmed Friday that the two people were present at both robberies, but would not disclose their names or the extent of their involvements in the heists.

"Our investigation is continuing to determine what their role in this cases were," Lt. Ash said.

Mr. Gilliland was taken into custody May 12 in the afternoon after an officer pulled him over while driving the alleged getaway car, a gray Volkswagen Jetta, near the intersection of Aspetuck Ridge Road and Sand Road in New Milford. None of the money was recovered, Lt. Ash said.

"We were able to identify him through witness accounts of what occurred," he said.

Mr. Gilliland was later charged with first-degree robbery, fifth-degree larceny and threatening.

His bond was set at $150,000.

Mr. Gilliland was scheduled to be arraigned May 13 in Bantam Superior Court.