Rare telephone exhibit on display
AMEICO in New Milford is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the building in which it is situated with a special exhibition of rare telephones through Oct. 31.
The building at 29 Church St., now home to AMEICO’s contemporary design store and gallery, was originally built by the Southern New England Telephone company in 1917-18 to house the equipment and switchboards for the growing local telephone clientele of New Milford and the surrounding towns.
An exhibit of rare telephones belonging to local collectors Mark Berghold and Nancy A. Davis, are the earliest examples of those that would have been found in households when 29 Church St., was constructed.
The exhibition also provides an overview of the growing importance of the telephone in New Milford a hundred years ago.
AMEICO (www.ameico.com) specializes in importing and distributing modern and contemporary industrial design.
Founded by Peter Kahane in 1995, it chose to purchase and restore 29 Church St. in 2012 to house its operations and display its product for the public.
The business is open Mondays through Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.