Paper Mill Road fire displaces seven
Published 10:41 am, Friday, March 7, 2014
An early-morning fire Thursday, March 6 along Paper Mill Road in New Milford sent one resident of a four-family residence to the burn unit at Bridgeport Hospital.
The name of the patient had not been released.
He is an adult male with non-life-threatening injuries, according to the police report.
He was initially transported by ambulance to New Milford Hospital's emergency room for evaluation and was then taken to Bridgeport.
A passing motorist called 911 at approximately 4:10 a.m. to report a structure fire.
Firefighters from Northville and Water Witch Hose Co. No. 2 volunteer fire departments responded, along with New Milford police.
All seven occupants had left the structure when firefighters arrived, police said.
Fire marshal Karen Facey reported the cause of the fire had been "improper disposal of smoking material."
"Thank God for smoke detectors," Facey said. "Everyone evacuated the building."
The fire caused extensive damage in one area of the structure, Facey said.
Firefighters cleared the scene at approximately 6:30 a.m.