Wykeham Rise to be affordable housing

An application for an affordable housing complex at the former Wykeham Rise School in Washington was approved Dec. 22 by the town's Inland Wetlands Commission.

The proposed, 33-unit development on the 27-acre Wykeham Road site was granted to property owner Matthew Klauer.

Mr. Klauer had previously made an unsuccessful attempt to get approval for an inn on the property. He has not yet submitted an application to the Zoning Commission for the new proposal.

-- Susan Tuz

Propane space heater ignites home fire

A house fire Monday at 20 Old Stone Road in Gaylordsville displaced the family of Patrick and Meegan Buckley.

Firefighters responded to a 911 call at 3:50 p.m. and found a basement fire. The fire was brought under control in 10 minutes by Gaylordsville, Northville, Kent and Sherman fire departments.

Fire damage had been confined to one room in the basement, with smoke damage throughout the home. Due to damage to the home's electrical cable, the family was temporarily displaced.

The New Milford fire marshal's office found the fire had been accidental due to a malfunction of a propane-fueled space heater.

-- Susan Tuz