New Milford historic buildings in Gaylordsville to open

NEW MILFORD — Gaylordsville's historic buildings — the Red Schoolhouse, Brown's Forge and the Merwinsville Hotel, are open Sundays in July and August from 2 to 4 p.m., starting on July 11.

The Red Schoolhouse, located on Gaylord Road, was built in 1740 and was restored by the town of New Milford in 1998. On display are many pictures of former students and other Gaylordsville scenes.

The Merwinsville Hotel, located at 1 Brown's Forge Road, was built in 1843 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Also on this road is Brown's Forge, built in 1870. The forge contains the original blacksmithing tools used by the original owners, Homer and Henry Brown, according to a release.

The forge is owned by the Gaylordsville Historical Society. There will be hosts/hostesses available to show guests through the various buildings. There is no admission charge but donations are always accepted.