Police in New Milford engaged Dustin Holst-Grubbe in two high-speed chase before abandoning the effort on the night that he’s accused of breaking into a Bridgewater home and shooting the man who lived there.

Holst-Grubbe appeared in state court Tuesday after being extradited from New York.

In Connecticut, Holst-Grubbe faces 18 charges — 13 of them felonies — in state Superior Court in Litchfield. Although the arrest warrant for the bulk of the charges is sealed until Jan. 28, two other arrest warrants stemming from Holst-Grubbe’s alleged Aug. 4 crime spree paint a picture of what police say they saw in the pre-dawn hours that foggy summer Thursday.

Holst-Grubbe is being held in lieu of $835,000 bond. His next court date is Feb. 7.

According to court documents, police first learned of Holst-Grubb, 20, when he whizzed past them on Kent Road (Route 7) in New Milford at 2:14 a.m. Police gave chase, heading south, but decided against following the 1998 Subaru Forester after Holst-Grubbe surged ahead of them, going more than 104 miles an hour.

“It became apparent that the vehicle was not going to stop,” police said in an affidavit. “It was too dangerous to continue.”

After logging the 1.8-mile chase, police went back to the “midnight shift.” The officer who chased Holst-Grubbe began traveling back north on the road, when Holst-Grubbe, going north this time, again flew by him. The officer was able to see the plate number on the car, called it in and again gave chase. During this chase, Holst-Grubbe veered into an oncoming lane for a spell, then turned onto Bridge Street where another police officer was waiting for him.

Holst-Grubbe then outran the other officer, going more than 75 miles an hour on Bridge Street, where the speed limit is 25 miles an hour, documents said. The officers then told dispatch the plate number and where the car was heading, east — towards Bridgewater.

Then at 3:50 a.m., the same officers got a call: There had been a home invasion in Bridgewater, a man had been shot, and a 1998 Subaru Forester, green with New York plates, was parked near the home, court documents said.

Holst-Grubbe had already fled, stealing a nearby van and driving it to Waterbury, where police say he burglarized several apartments. On Aug. 10, he turned himself in to police in New York after a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Police say he told them that he committed the crimes in interviews and told them he was high on crack cocaine during the New Milford chase.

“(I) went into a house to just steal a car because I was high and scared,” police say the 20-year-old told them. “I found a shotgun and loaded it.”

blytton@hearstmediact.com; 203-731-3411; @bglytton