Merryall Chapel marks 125 years
The Merryall Union Chapel in the Merryall section of New Milford recently celebrated its 125th anniversary. An outdoor picnic Sunday was moved indoors to the Merryall Center for the Arts, located across the street, due to the brisk autumn weather.
The picnic was followed by a presentation about the historic chapel and surrounding Merryall district by noted local author and historian Michael John Cavallaro. A rededication ceremony, featuring content from the chapel’s first service, with the Rev. Steve Klots of South Kent School followed the program.
The chapel, which features Gothic architecture, was built in 1890 by a small group of determined Merryall citizens seeking a local place of worship. The foundation was “laid and the framework furnished and raised by the people of the neighborhood, after which the building was covered and finished in good style by T. Soule & Co.,” according to a report printed in Dec. 26, 1890, New Milford Gazette. The story noted that approximately 300 people attended the chapel’s dedication ceremony.