John Falk, 90, retired from Air Force
Published 9:38 pm, Wednesday, August 29, 2012
John "Joe" W. Falk, 90, of New Milford, died at home Aug. 25 surrounded by his wife, Beatrice Martin Falk, and seven children.
Mr. Falk was born April 14, 1922, in Herkimer, N.Y., the son of the late Charles and Gertrude Falk.
He graduated from Niagara University and spent most of his professional career as a member of the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel by the time of his retirement in 1969. During his military career, he served in World War II, where he flew B-17s; the Korean War and the Vietnam War, where he was awarded numerous commendations including the Legion of Merit.
Mr. Falk was an active member of St. Francis Xavier Church in New Milford for more than 45 years, as well as the Knights of Columbus, VFW Post 1672, the American Legion, the Catholic War Veterans and the National Association for Uniformed Services.
He was an avid military airplane enthusiast and enjoyed visiting Air Force bases and museums dedicated to flying and the history of flight. His favorite museum was the National Air and Space Museum, which he visited often and maintained an active membership.
In addition to his wife of 65 years, Mr. Falk is survived by his children, Kathleen, of New Milford, James and his wife, Karen, of Rehoboth Beach, Del., Christopher, of New Milford, Marleen, of Middleburg, Va., Matthew and his wife, Mimi, of Marathon, Fla., Eileen and her husband, Walt, of White Bear Lake, Minn., and Madeline and her husband, Jon, of Norfolk; 10 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; two brothers, Frank, of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Edward and his wife, Mildred, of Newport, N.Y.; and a sister, Mary, of Herkimer. He was predeceased by a brother, Charles.
Burial was in St. Francis Cemetery in New Milford.
The Lillis Funeral Home in New Milford was in charge of arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in his memory to the New Milford VNA Inc., 68 Park Lane Road, New Milford CT 06776, or to St. Francis Xavier Church, 1 Elm St., New Milford CT 06776.