Historic sites to open for summer
Three historic places in the Gaylordsville section of New Milford will open to the public beginning July 1.
here is no admission charge, but donations are welcome.
The Merwinsville Hotel in Gaylordsville will be open for tours Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. through Sept. 30.
Patrons will have an opportunity to tour the multiple floors, including the wine cellar in the basement and third-floor ballroom, of the historic building on Brown's Forge Road. The hotel was built in 1843 as a meal and rest stop along the Housatonic Railroad line. The hotel features an authentically-furnished station waiting room and a museum of possessions from early Gaylordsville families.
The Little Red Schoolhouse, which was built in 1740 and used until 1967, will be open Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m. through Sept. 30.
The schoolhouse, which was restored by the town of New Milford in 1998, is located on Gaylord Road.
Brown's Forge, located just beyond the Merwinsville Hotel, will be open to guests Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. through August.
The forge, which was built in 1870, still has the original blacksmithing tools and a working forge. It is now owned by the Gaylordsville Historical Society.