Historic sites open for summer
Three historic places in the Gaylordsville section of New Milford are open to the public.
There is no admission charge, but donations are welcome.
The Merwinsville Hotel in Gaylordsville will be open for tours Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. July 13 to September
Patrons will have an opportunity to tour the multiple floors, including the wine cellar in the basement, a third-floor ballroom and hotel restoration photographs at the historic building on Brown's Forge Road.
The Little Red Schoolhouse, which was built in 1740 and used until 1967, will be open Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. through August.
The schoolhouse, which was restored by the town of New Milford in 1998, is located on Gaylord Road.
Brown's Forge, located just beyond the Merwinsville Hotel, will be open to guests Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. through August.
The forge, which was built in 1870, still has the original blacksmithing tools and a working forge. It is now owned by the Gaylordsville Historical Society.
Due to the closure of the bridge on Riverview Road, motorists are advised to turn left at the fork by Burgeritoville onto South Kent Road and follow signs directing them to the hotel and forge.