An attic fire on Mozart Lane in New Milford temporarily displaced a family of three.

Furnace repair men responding to a Feb. 11 call smelled smoke when they entered the home at 8 Mozart Lane and awoke the sleeping occupants, according to Chief Jeff Emmons of Water Witch Hose Co. No. 2.

The furnace had gone out the night before and the occupants were using a wood stove for heat, Chief Emmons said.

Upon the firefighters' arrival, smoke was coming from the attic and they found an attic fire, he said. The 911 call came in Feb. 11 at 11 a.m.

"There was minimal damage to the house," Chief Emmons. "But due to the amount of water we put in the attic and the fact that Connecticut Light & Power shut off the electricity to the home, the occupants were not able to stay in the residence."

Bridgewater Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid. Electricity had been turned off to the house because it could not be determined if the cause of the fire was electrical or due to overheating of the stove pipe from the wood stove, Chief Emmons said.

Fire marshal Karen Facey said it was later determined the fire had been caused by improperly installed chimneys for the wood stove and furnace. Ms. Facey said the fire ignited the insulation and wood framing around the chimney.

Red Cross emergency dispatch reported assistance was called in for a family of three who were given temporary lodging, financial assistance for new clothing and food and household storage items.

The family's name was not released.

The house at 8 Mozart Lane is reported by Vision Appraisal to be a 1,792-square-foot, single-family Cape Cod owned by Liselotte Lambracht of White House Station, N.J.

Ms. Lambracht confirmed Feb. 12 that Jeffrey and Michelle Bennett were renting the New Milford house.