Energy assistance available for Kent residents

Social Services director Jerrilynn Tiso is accepting applications for Kent's 2009-10 energy assistance season.

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program helps homeowners and renters pay for primary heating bills.

If the household's primary heating costs are included in rent, a person may also apply for assistance if rent is more than 30 percent of gross income.

Applicants must report and verify income and liquid assets as an eligibility requirement.

For information or to make an appointment, call Ms. Tiso at 860-927-1586 or visit her office at town hall Tuesdays, Thursdays or Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.