Elizabeth Dolan, 97, New Milford native, active in the community
Elizabeth (McMahon) Dolan, 97, died Feb. 13, 2011, at the Village Crest Rehabilitation Center in New Milford.
Mrs. Dolan was born Oct. 7, 1913, to Timothy J. and Minnie (Clark) McMahon.
She was a lifetime resident of New Milford and grew up as the only daughter in the McMahon family.
Mrs. Dolan would often tell stories about her childhood on the farm and the many people who shared her life.
Her ability to remember names, dates and details impressed everyone and stayed with her for 97 years.
She graduated in 1931 from New Milford High School, where she met James R. Dolan, of Gaylordsville.
Their strong friendship endured throughout the years, and they married in 1947. They spent 51 years together until his death in 1999.
Mrs. Dolan later continued her teaching career at the New Milford's Main Street School until 1949.
In 1964, she decided to resume teaching as a fifth-grade teacher at John Pettibone School in New Milford.
Mrs. Dolan retired from the New Milford school system in 1977.
She was the secretary for the New Milford Board of Education for 13 years, a trustee of the John Pettibone Scholarship Committee and a member of the Connecticut Retired Teachers Association, Litchfield County Chapter.
Mrs. Dolan was also a member of the AARP local chapter #3241, of which she served as treasurer and membership chairperson.
She loved her church and was an active member of the St. Francis Xavier Church. She acted as the treasurer of the Confraternity of the Rosary for several years.
Her family remembers her as a woman of great faith.
Mrs. Dolan is survived by a son, Denis P. Dolan and wife, Patricia, of New Milford; three grandsons, Kevin J. Dolan and wife, Alison, of Torrington, Ryan J. Dolan, of New Milford, and Patrick T. Dolan, of Boston; several nieces and nephews; and friends.
She was predeceased by two brothers, Morris and Frank.
The St. Francis Xavier Church in New Milford held the Mass of Christian Burial.
A spring burial will be held at St. Francis Cemetery in New Milford.