There may be a measure of closure soon for the family of Jane Ryan, a Ridgefield woman who died in a head-on motor vehicle collision in New Milford in April 2013.

A guilty plea has been entered by the man charged with second-degree manslaughter in her death, Ryan Cable, 28.

Cable entered the plea June 6 in Superior Court in Litchfield after reaching an agreement with State's Attorney David Shepack.

"The charges were not reduced," Shepack said. "At the time of sentencing, we will ask for a 15-year prison sentence, to be suspended after five years, followed by three years' probation.

"Mr. Cable has reserved the right to argue for a lesser sentence," he added.

Cable's attorney, Kevin Smith, declined to say why Cable entered the plea deal with the state without having his charges reduced.

Cable, who is free on $75,000 bond, is charged with second-degree manslaughter and evading responsibility -- death/serious injury.

"We do have the right to argue for a lesser sentence," Smith said. "We will save our comments until after that time."

Cable left the scene of the April 27, 2013, head-on collision. Surveillance cameras at the Citgo gas station near the accident scene along Danbury Road (Route 7 South) recorded Cable being confronted by a witness to the accident moments after the crash.

The cameras recorded Cable then entering the bathroom at Citgo at 11:15:26 a.m. and leaving through the rear exit at 11:15:53 a.m., according to court documents.

A witness reported seeing Cable exiting the gas station property through a hole in the back fence, according to the arrest warrant affidavit.

At the time of Cable's arrest seven days later, Smith said his client had been injured in the April crash and was disoriented, not realizing he was leaving the scene of an accident.

Cable was arrested in Rhode Island as a fugitive from justice and waived extradition to Connecticut.

According to Smith, Cable was living in Rhode Island at the time and not attempting to avoid arrest.

Ryan, 65, was a retired teacher.

She and her husband had just bought a home in Washington and were in the process of moving there.

"Mrs. Ryan was a teacher, loved by all the students she ever had," attorney Frank Trotta, representing the Ryan family, said at the time of Cable's arrest.

"It's tragic, reckless and completely unreasonable that this happened," Trotta said in July 2013. "I'm impressed with the folks that stepped up when the accident happened.

"They ran after the man (Cable)," he added. "They ran to her (Ryan) car. They came forward to witness."; 860-355-7322