Brookfield firefighters extinguish blaze with potential chemical hazard
BROOKFIELD — Fire officials are investigating the cause of a fire that broke out inside a residential pool house and led to the evacuation of nearby residents Friday morning.
Brookfield’s two fire companies were dispatched to Cedar Hill Road for a report of a pool house on fire shortly before 10 a.m.
Crews reported seeing a large plume of smoke and confirmed a working fire at the scene with possible exposure to a nearby house.
Firefighters started extinguishing the fire, but were presented with a possible hazmat condition due to the large amount of chlorine tablets inside the pool house.
“Since the water and heat from the fire could have dispersed that chlorine in a gaseous form, firefighters took appropriate precautions and evacuated some nearby residences,” according to the Brookfield Volunteer Fire Department’s Candlewood Company.
After the gas dispersed, firefighters removed the chlorine tablets and put them in a metal container for disposal.
“Due to the quick actions of fire personnel on scene, the fire (and) the minor hazmat situation were both handled swiftly,” according to a post on the Candlewood Company’s Facebook page.
The Brookfield Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of the fire.