Bridge work designs to begin in Washington
The Washington Board of Selectman have announced that the town is contemplating a project to replace or rehabilitate the Whittlesey Road Bridge over the Shepaug River and the Tunnel Road Bridge over the Shepaug River.
The bridge project will receive federal funds under the Federal Local Bridge Program administered by the Connecticut Department of Transportation.
If undertaken, the project design would be expected to begin in 2017, with construction likely in 2019 or 2020.
First Selectman Mark Lyon noted that local and state policy encourages early information to citizens on such projects and encourages people to raise any concerns with municipal officials early in the planning process.
Persons wanting additional information should contact the selectman’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860-868-2259.
The cost of the replacement or rehabilitation of these two bridges will receive 80 percent reimbursement from federal aid with the remaining 20 percent paid from municipal funds.
The federal aid for the project was authorized under the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century ACE (MAP-21) administered by the Federal Highway Administration and the Connecticut Department of Transportation.