Police may never solve the disappearance of Mary Badaracco.

Yet Friday afternoon, July 5, a jury convicted her ex-husband, Sherman contractor Dominic Badaracco, of trying to bribe a judge to influence a grand jury probe in the case.

"It's a victory for my mother," said Beth Profeta, one of Mary Badaracco's two daughters. "It's not the murder charge, but it may turn out to be for him, and at least it has restored my faith that there is, in fact, justice."

The 77-year-old Badaracco showed no emotion as the state Superior Court jury of four men and two women, after three hours of deliberation, found him guilty of bribery.

Badaracco was then handcuffed behind his back by judicial marshals and led from the Main Street courtroom as his wife and stepdaughter cried in the back of the courtroom.

Badaracco faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced Sept. 6. His lawyer, Richard Meehan, said he expected Badaracco to post bond even after Judge Robert Devlin increased it from $150,000 to $500,000.

"We appreciate the jury's attention to the case and its verdict," Deputy Chief State's Attorney Leonard Boyle said as he left the courtroom.

Meehan said later he will appeal the verdict.

Badaracco, a suspect in the disappearance of his ex-wife, Mary, from their Sherman home in 1984, was accused of offering a $100,000 bribe to state Superior Court Judge Robert Brunetti to influence a one-man grand jury convened in November 2010, looking into Mary Badaracco's disappearance.

Brunetti, the prosecution's star witness, testified that on Nov. 17, 2010, Badaracco telephoned him at his home and told him, "Bobby, I need your help. They've all been subpoenaed for Friday."

Brunetti said he responded there was nothing he could do and that's when he testified Badaracco told him: "I'm only gonna say this one time ... It's worth 100 Gs."

The call was not recorded and Brunetti testified the only way he could interpret Badaracco's statement was the defendant was offering him a bribe.

At the time, Brunetti was working in the same courthouse where the probe was being held, but was not involved in it.