Zoners say 'yes' to Barton House demolition
The days of the historic Barton House at 34 East Street in New Milford could be numbered.
The decision paves the way for demolition of the storied, 1890 building and ensuing construction of a 14-unit, two-story apartment building on the west side of the lot adjacent to the CVS pharmacy parking lot.
On the east side of the 34 East Street property, a 24-unit, three-story apartment building can be constructed parallel to East Street (Route 202).
The New Milford Trust for Historic Preservation recently wrote to Dakota Partners LLC, asking the developer to renovate the Barton House as apartments and use the existing building as the front structure on the property.