A New Milford man injured Dec. 3 in what appears to be an accidental fire started in a basement room of a house at 37 Sullivan Road was listed in fair condition Wednesday at Bridgeport Hospital.

John Ryan, 48, who lives in the home, was initially transported to Danbury Hospital but then was transferred to the burn unit at Bridgeport Hospital.

The New Milford Fire Marshal's office said a fire was reported Dec. 3 about 4:30 p.m. at the two-story colonial home of Yvon and Marisa Dumas.

Upon arrival, firefighters and police found a resident of the house, Mr. Ryan, in the yard with injuries he had suffered in the fire.

The basement fire was extinguished within 15 minutes by firefighters from the Water Witch Hose. Co. No. 2, Northville and Gaylordsville departments.

Fire damage was confined to the one room in the basement, with extensive smoke damage throughout the house, the fire marshal's office reported.

With assistance from the state fire marshal's office, the New Milford office stated the fire appeared to have been accidental but a final ruling would not be expected until after officials were able to speak with Mr. Ryan.