HISTORICAL SOCIETY TIMELINE

1907: An exhibit featuring almost 500 historical objects, contributed by residents pertaining to the town, is presented for New Milford's bicentennial at New Milford Public Library's Memorial Hall. Many people express regret the exhibit is not displayed longer and suggest a permanent place for the objects would someday be made available.

1915: A group of prominent citizens, many of whom had been involved with the town's bicentennial exhibit, establish an historical society and museum.

March 19, 1915: New Milford Historical Society is incorporated. William G. Green, Frank W. March, Charles M. Beach, Ina J. Beach, Helen M. Boardman, Kate T. Boardman, Dr. George H. Wright, Ella C. Wright, Flora G. Stilson, Joseph H. Nettleton, Charlotte E. Roberts, Henry S. Mygatt, Nancy F. Mygatt, Robert E. Murphy, Sarah J. Roberts and John Pettibone are named as the people who make up the New Milford Historical Society "for the purpose of promoting historical and genealogical research, particularly in regard to the town of New Milford and its inhabitants, and collecting and preserving antiquarian and historical objects and records," according to a copy of House Bill No. III.

1915-64: The museum is housed in the home of Kate and Helen Boardman at 55 Main St., the site where is currently the Bank of America. Helen dies shortly after the museum is incorporated, and Kate operates it until 1922.

1922: Flora Geer Stilson becomes the first curator.

1938: Mary "Elsie" Hall becomes the second curator, following the death of Stilson.

1956: The Knapp House -- once the home to cobbler Levi S. Knapp -- is donated to the historical society by Mary Clissold Knapp, the last member of the family to own the property. She and her sister, Margaret, had lived in the house for many summers, but spent their winters in Hartford with their brother, Admiral Harry Knapp. The bell from Admiral Knapp's flagship, the U.S.S. Pittsburgh, graces the Village Green. The house dates back to the 1770s, while later additions and renovations date to 1815.

Feb. 1, 1957: C. Andrew Humeston becomes interim curator.

April 1, 1957: Gwendolyn W. Treat becomes curator.

1963: The bank building at 53 Main St. -- the site where now is Webster Bank -- is moved to the historical society's property along Aspetuck Avenue. The building was originally built for George Sherman Boardman's law office in 1820. George Boardman was the son of United States Sen. Elijah Boardman, who resided in the Elijah Boardman House, which is occupied today by the Cramer & Anderson law firm.

1963: The main gallery at 6 Aspetuck Ave. is completed, abutting the Knapp House. The door of the former United States Hotel (circa 1790)-- located at the corner of Main and Bank streets, now the site for Robertson Jewelers -- is installed at the museum. The frame had been rescued by Herbert W. Barlow, the historical society president, before the hotel was demolished in 1927.

Summer 1964: The museum opens along Aspetuck Avenue.

1973: Gwendolyn Treat steps down as curator.

1975-78: Sylvia Lahvis is curator.

1979-81: John A. Wright is curator.

1981-87: Georgia Girardo is curator.

1987-2001: Dolores Dunn is curator.

1995: The Boardman Store is moved from the corner of Boardman Terrace and Railroad Street -- near H.H. Taylor & Son -- to museum property. The building was originally located on Main Street, north of Elijah Boardman's house.

2001-06: Pamela Edwards is curator.

2006: The connector is constructed, linking the Boardman Store building, the Knapp House and the main gallery.

2007-09: Anne Stillman is curator.

March 2009-September 2010: Paula Walton is curator.

May 2011-present: Lisa Roush is curator.

2012: The historical society adopts museum as part of its official name, becoming the New Milford Historical Society & Museum. The doorway logo is instituted.

2015: The museum celebrates its centennial.