Sherman Historical Society to dedicate Roger Sherman Cobbler Shop
The event will be held rain or shine on the field behind the Northrop House Museum in the center of Sherman.
The townwide celebration will feature a ribbon-cutting ceremony, speeches, patriotic songs and music, Colonial games, food and more.
The public is invited to bring a blanket and picnic lunch or buy food and beverages from the Naromi Land Trust.
Hay bales for seating will be placed around the field in front of the Cobbler Shop.
A section of the field will be roped off for children to learn how to play some of the games that were popular in Colonial days.
The upper field will be open for kite flying.
Parking will be available at the Sherman School, the town hall and Holy Trinity Church.
The reconstruction of the Roger Sherman Cobbler Shop on the field behind the Northrop House is nearing its completion.
The building was moved from its original location north of Route 55 to the new site at 10 Route 37 by the Sherman Historical Society in 2002 to save it from demolition.
Roger Sherman had bought the property in 1743 when it was known as New Dilloway. It consisted of 250 acres with a dwelling house and two barns; the smaller of the two is believed to have been his cobbler shop.
Roger Sherman likely lived in New Dilloway until 1748 when he moved to a house on Park Lane East in New Milford.
For a long time it was not clear if New Dilloway belonged to New Milford or New Fairfield. At one point, Roger Sherman actually received tax bills from both sides.
Not until an official survey was commissioned by the Colonial Government in 1745 was the border conflict resolved; it was determined that New Dilloway was part of New Fairfield.
In 1802, New Fairfield was divided into two towns and New Dilloway became part of present day Sherman.
On Oct. 4 it will have been exactly 207 years since the town of Sherman was incorporated.
For information about the event, call 860-354-3083.