Lawrence Ford Buoy, 85, husband of Jean R. Buoy of Gaylordsville, died Oct. 29, 2009, at New Milford Hospital.

Mr. Buoy, who was known by friends and family as Larry, was born Nov. 17, 1923, in Erie, Pa.

Mr. Buoy graduated from West Springfield High School in West Springfield, Pa., and Mattatuck Community College in Waterbury.

Mr. Buoy served as a rifleman in the Combat Infantry during World War II in Europe. Upon discharge, he attended Westminster Choir College in Princeton, N.J., for two years.

Mr. Buoy returned to Erie and continued to study voice and acting in various venues in the area, including the Erie Playhouse, a professional theater.

He was a charter member and baritone soloist for the Erie Symphonic Choir, where he met his wife.

Mr. Buoy married the former Jean Rosenstiel on May 15, 1954. In October 1955, the couple moved to New York to take advantage of the many opportunities offered for study of the performing arts.

They lived in Brooklyn Heights for eight years while Mr. Buoy worked full time at Stone and Webster Service Corp. on Wall Street during the day.

Evenings were devoted to voice lessons and acting and staging at opera workshops. He also took on many jobs as a soloist or a member of a paid quartet in churches in New York City.

For several years, he sang in a quartet during the Jewish holidays at Brown's Hotel in the Catskills.

During this time, he sang in more than 50 performances in leading baritone roles, more than 30 in minor roles at an off-Broadway opera house and more than 40 in various other venues around New York City.

In 1963, the Buoys purchased a converted barn in Gaylordsville as a weekend retreat. In 1966, they relocated permanently to Gaylordsville.

Mr. Buoy read the audition notices in the local newspapers to see what was happening on area stages. He found one published by The Sherman Players and, after auditioning, was cast in a primary role in "Night Must Fall."

That was the beginning of a long association with the troupe. He would go on to play leading and secondary roles in 17 plays and directed or produced several others in Sherman.

Mr. Buoy was a member of the board of directors, served as vice president and as secretary for several years, and worked backstage in other capacities. He also played leading roles in theaters in Southbury, Brookfield, New Milford and Brewster, N.Y.

He retired in 1988 from Sperry Rail Service in Danbury, where he was office supervisor.

He was an active member of the Danbury Area Computer Society for many years and, for a time, was secretary of the organization.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Buoy is survived by a sister, Mary Anne Balsiger-Grumblatt, of Erie; a sister-in-law, Ruth Arnamann, of Cranesville, Pa., and several nieces, nephews and cousins. He was predeceased by a brother, Clifford C. Arnemann.

Services were private.

Memorials may be made to the Danbury Salvation Army, 15 Foster St., Danbury, CT 06810 or to the New Milford Visiting Nurse Association, 68 Park Lane Road, New Milford, CT 06776.