Historic sites open in Gaylordsville
Three historic places in the Gaylordsville section of New Milford will be open to the public this summer.
There is no admission charge, but donations are welcome.
äThe Merwinsville Hotel on Browns Forge Road in Gaylordsville will be open for tours Sundays from to 2 to 4 p.m. beginning this month and running through September.
Volunteers will be on hand to guide patrons through the building.
äThe Little Red Schoolhouse, which was built in 1740 and used until 1967, will be open Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m. this month through September.
The schoolhouse, which was restored by the town of New Milford in 1998, is located on Gaylord Road.
äThe Brown's Forge, located just beyond the Merwinsville Hotel, will be open to guests Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. this month and August.
The forge, which was built in 1871, still has the original blacksmithing tools and a working forge. It is now owned by the Gaylordsville Historical Society.