To the Editor:
At its June meeting, the New Milford Republican Town Committee unanimously passed the following platform.
We pledge to:
1) Promote fiscal responsibility -- we are determined to fundamentally change how town government views taxpayers. We support the belief each person who lives, works or conducts business in New Milford does so in order to support smaller, less expensive and less intrusive government.
2) Support quality education -- we support an innovative and cost-effective public education system in which children are offered a challenging curriculum, gain essential knowledge and develop the skills necessary to achieve their full potential.
3) Respect constitutional principles and private property -- we embrace the constitutional principals of individual freedom, the separation of powers and limited democratic government.
Local land-use restrictions must serve vital public interest, not political whims or partisan ideologies. We respect the fundamental rights of property owners.
4) Attract economic development -- we will encourage economic development by reducing or eliminating unwarranted bureaucratic barriers to business, commerce and free market competition.
5) Encourage innovative and less intrusive government -- we believe people governed least are governed best.
Local government policies must strengthen and protect individual freedom, family life, neighborhoods and the community. The government must become efficient at its core functions and do it with less tax revenue, not more.
We believe these bold, innovative Republican ideas would help make New Milford a better, more affordable place for every citizen to live.