The New Milford village center and environs were alive with excitement July 3 as the town celebrated — a day early — the United States’ Fourth of July birthday.

In commemoration of the signing of the Declaration of Independence way back in July 4, 1776, the Greater New Milford Chamber of Commerce hosted its annual Fourth of July festivities throughout the village center.

Befitting the occasion, the Woman’s Club of Greater New Milford created a huge birthday cake and shared it with those on the Village Green.

The events were climaxed by a fireworks show, set off from Fort Hill and viewed by countless thousands throughout the area.

The Fourth of July events were held in tandem with a carnival sponsored at Young’s Field by the New Milford Lions Club.

For photos, visit www.newmilfordspectrum.com.

Norm Cummings