The Merryall Union Chapel in the Merryall section of New Milford will celebrate its 125th anniversary with a picnic and program Sunday.

The picnic will begin at 1 p.m., followed by a presentation about the historic chapel and the surrounding Merryall district by noted local author and historian Michael John Cavallaro.

A re-dedication ceremony, featuring content from the first service by the Rev. Steve Klots of South Kent School, will follow at the Chapel Hill Road chapel.

The chapel was built in 1890 by a small group of determined Merryall citizens seeking a local place of worship,

In case of inclement weather, the picnic will be held at the Merryall Center for the Arts across the street.