The Duffy Family Art Gallery at Canterbury School in New Milford is presenting its first show of the year, “Canterbury Through the Century,” to celebrate the private school’s 100th anniversary.

The exhibit, which will run through Oct. 3, features memorabilia from different eras of the school.

A section of the gallery is devoted to the different areas of school life.

The athletic corner features a baseball jersey from the 1940s, football breeches from the 1930s and a table set with Syracuse dinnerware used in the dining hall for many years until the late 1970s.

The theater section includes a program for a 1921 “Midsummer Night’s Dream” production that featured singing by renowned tenor John McCormack and Nelson Hume playing the role of Bottom after future mythologist Joseph Campbell fell ill and could not perform.

Many photographs are scattered throughout the exhibit, several by William Rittase, an American modernist photographer who was active from the 1920s and into the 1940s.

The New Milford Historical Society has loaned several items related to New Milford and the Ingleside School for Girls.

In September of 1915, Headmaster Nelson Hume presided over Canterbury School’s opening on Sept. 30.

Among the original 18 students was Cyril Clemens, nephew of Mark Twain.

Sons of founding trustees Clarence Mackay, Henry Havemeyer, James Farrell, Terence Carmody and Alan Ryan soon also became part of the student body.

The school was established on the grounds of the former Ingleside School for Girls which closed in 1914.

Canterbury, an independent college preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school for students in grades 9 to 12, now has more than 300 students, both boys and girls, and the physical plant is much changed from 1915.

The only original building extant on campus is the renovated chaplain’s residence near Sheehan House.

This building began life as the Adelphic Institute, a school for boys on Chicken Hill.

After Adelphic closed in 1880, the building was moved to its present location.

It has since served as chapel, library, school store, and storage room before being converted into the Chaplain’s residence.

The exhibit can be seen at the Aspetuck Avenue school.