(skip this header)

New Milford Spectrum

Saturday, October 25, 2014

newmilfordspectrum.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Angelo Rosato, 91, had owned jewelry store

Published 12:06 am, Sunday, November 25, 2012
Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

Angelo Anthony Rosa, 91, of New Milford died Nov. 13 at his daughter Geraldine's home.

Mr. Rosato was born April 9, 1921, in Waterville, a son of the late Marco and Immacolata (Iannelli) Rosato of Morcone, Italy. He was a lifelong resident of New Milford.

In 1953, he opened A.A. Rosato Jewelry store at 44 Bank St., New Milford, and was in business for 32 years before retiring in 1985.

He was a charter member of the New Milford Chamber of Commerce.

Mr. Rosato was a member of the American Legion for more than 50 years.

He was an artist and enjoyed coin collecting as a hobby. He was a member of various coin clubs in the area and president of the New Milford coin club in 1967. He became interested in a new facet of numismatics, collecting elongated coins. With this passion for the elongated coin and using his professional talent, he started to design, hand-engrave and roll his own elongated coin collection.

He wrote and published the most comprehensive reference guide and catalog of elongated coins produced from 1960-78, called the "Encyclopedia of the Modern Elongated."

Mr. Rosato was a communicant of St. Francis Xavier Church in New Milford and a member of the Knights of Columbus Housatonic Council No. 40. He was named as Grand Knight in 1967-68.

Mr. Rosato is survived by a daughter, Geraldine Rosato, of Naugatuck; a grandson, Brian R. Rosato, of Miami; three brothers, Asvero Rosato, of New Milford, Dante Rosato, of Sarasota, Fla., Duillo Rosato, and his wife, Alta, of Danbury; a sister, Nancy Legnani, and her husband, Robert, of Berlin; and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by a brother, Louis Rosato.

Burial was in St. Francis Xavier Cemetery in New Milford.

Colonial Funeral Home in New Milford was in charge of arrangements.

Memorials may be made to the Newington Children's Hospital.