(skip this header)

New Milford Spectrum

Monday, November 24, 2014

newmilfordspectrum.com Businesses

« Back to Article

'Rumor and threats' prompt schools' closing

Updated 10:49 am, Friday, December 21, 2012
Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

School sessions in New Milford were cancelled Friday, Dec. 21 as a result of multiple threats received in the days following the tragic killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.

New Milford police said there was no immediate danger to the students, but "there have been an abundant amount of rumors and threats circulated around our schools," according to a statement released Thursday evening by the NMPD.

"The New Milford Police Department has investigated all these rumors and determined they were unsubstantiated," the statement said.

However, authorities added "given the recent events in the state of Connecticut concerning the safety and well being of our students, the New Milford Police Department recommended to the superintendent's office that it was in the best interest of the community" to cancel school on Friday.

"The decision was based on the magnitude of recent events and our present circumstances," according to the statement.

Sgt. James Brady said no arrests had been made in connection to any threats.

Sperintendent of Schools JeanAnn Paddyfote sent the following message Thursday to parents:

"Based on the advice of the New Milford Police Department, school is cancelled tomorrow, Friday, December 21, 2012. School will resume on Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013. Please have a safe and enjoyable winter break."

New Milford schools are scheduled to open Jan. 2 following the Christmas and New Year's Day holidays.

Dirk Perrefort