First Selectman Bill Stuart said recently he had been doing all of his Bridgewater town business over the phone from his office to avoid "the press cameras following me around."
"We've got to make a list of the things we need to get back to immediately running Town Hall. We're starting on our town audit pretty soon, and we think some of the things that were taken are needed for the audit. Anything else, they can keep as long as they want."
Mr. Stuart was not in town hall July 11 when FBI agents shut it down and executed a search warrant. He was out haying his fields.
The first selectman declined to comment further on the FBI raid on his attorney's advice.
Ms. Underwood said it was impossible to target exactly what years' minutes were being sought by the FBI as entire binders had been taken, some with minutes dating back to 1993.
Nancy Hawley, the town's Board of Finance chairwoman, said she had been informed by Town Hall personnel that files also had been taken from the treasurer's office, including a file on the Burnham Fund. The fund is a charitable fund created in the 1920s to help the less fortunate in town pay for necessities.
Thomas Carson, a spokesman for the U.S. District Attorney's office in New Haven, last week would not release the name of the federal judge who issued the search warrant or discuss which district court handled the matter.
"We can't answer any of your questions or comment at all," Mr. Carson replied in an email Monday to the Spectrum.
FBI agents leaving Bridgewater Town Hall had said they were from the New Haven division. FBI spokesman Dan Curtin in the New Haven office declined to disclose further details.
The first public questioning of Mr. Stuart's disbursement of money from the Burnham Fund came in August 2009, when George Allingham, then Board of Finance chairman, charged the first selectman with mismanagement of the fund.
Mr. Allingham has declined to comment since the FBI raid on town hall on advice of his attorney.
"All I will say is that I'm sad for the community," he said.